The Universal Service (US) refers to the provision of a minimum set of services of specified quality, which is available to all users regardless of their geographical location at an affordable price. In accordance with Law 4727/2020, the Universal Service includes the following services:
- Adequate Internet broadband access service.
- Voice communication services, including connection, at a fixed location.
In terms of the above mentioned, the competent authorities, as appropriate, are as follows:
Adequate broadband Internet access service
- Ministry of Digital Governance: By means of a Ministerial Decision and following a proposal by EETT, the adequate Internet broadband access service is defined and the content of the Universal Service is specified.
- EETT: It defines the quality of services that fall within the scope of the Universal Service.
Obligations of providers
- Ministry of Digital Governance. By means of a Ministerial Decision and following a proposal by EETT:
- Appropriate universal service obligations may be imposed to meet all reasonable requests by end users for accessing those services in the relevant parts of the Greek territory.
- Measures will be taken to ensure the affordability of services that fall within the scope of the Universal service, if deemed appropriate.
- EETT: It may designate one or more providers to guarantee the availability of the Universal Service throughout the Greek territory.