EETT's Consumer Guidelines
When choosing a new telephony and Internet service bundle, make sure that you are informed about:
- Each service offered by the service bundle
- The minimum duration of the contract
- Activation fees, as well as early termination fees (in the event of a contract ending before the termination date)
- The date of service activation
- The minimum cost and minimum call charge duration
- Internet connection speed (nominal, theoretical and estimated actual speed) at the locations you are interested in (e.g., home or work locations). A useful tool to measure the performance characteristics of your Internet connection is EETT's System for Performance Evaluation of Broadband Connection Services at http://broadbandtest.eett.gr
- The distance between the telephone exchange from which the service is provided and the user address (especially for VDSL connections).
- Keep the application that you have signed at the salespoint, which must be stamped and dated. Read the service contract carefully.
- When you receive the first bill after activating the new services, make sure that the priced services correspond to the services you had selected.
For an uninterrupted & high quality connection to the Internet from a fixed or mobile device
- For Internet access from a fixed computer, ask your provider for the estimated Internet connection speed at the specified point of operation in order to select a value-for-money service.
- To connect via a mobile device (e.g., mobile phone, laptop or tablet PC) make sure that the service provider serves the locations that you frequently visit and ask for information about the estimated Internet connection speeds at the locations.
Checking phone charges in fixed & mobile telephony
- Smart phone users should learn the functionalities of their device, the way to disable automatic connection to the Internet through the mobile network and the current charges for data transfer that the mobile operator applies in Greece and abroad.
- Call the customer service number of each operator to get informed about the consumption of your free talk time or data volume (or enable the relevant service of your device, if there exists one). If you consume more talk time or data volume, the provider may also notify you by text message for additional charges or suspend the service. Otherwise, you will be charged with the normal service rates.
- We recommend that you check the consumption of your free talk time or data volume, without relying on the automatic information services of each operator.
- In fixed and mobile telephony, block premium rate services if you don't use them (if such an option exists). Examples of such services are calls to five-digit numbers (e.g., 13XXX, 15XXX) or calls to 901XXXXXXX numbers). In any case, the customers should be aware that the price charged by such providers for each subscribed premium rate service should not exceed €20 per month (+ VAT). This excludes however charges for participation in competitions (e.g., competitions via SMS).
- You can also ask for selective blocking of outgoing calls (e.g., international calls).
- An online service where consumers can control premium rate service numbers is available on EETT's website (www.eett.gr).