1. When selecting new telephony and Internet bundled services, make sure that you are informed about:
- The services offered by the bundled services you chose
- The minimum duration of the
- Contract activation fees, as well as early termination fees (in the event of a contract ending before the termination date)
- The date of the service activation
- The minimum cost and the minimum duration of a call
When choosing bundled services of fixed telephony and Internet
- Know the Internet access speed (nominal and estimated actual speed) at the locations that interest you so that you can choose the appropriate bundled services. A useful tool to measure the performance characteristics of your Internet connection is HYPERION, EETT's system for performance evaluation of broadband connection services
- Know the distance between the local exchange/cabin from which the service is provided and the user’s address.
When choosing bundled services of mobile telephony with Internet
- Ensure that the provider serves at locations that interest you and ask for information on the estimated speed of access.
- Keep the application you have signed stamped and dated by the store you placed it. Read the service contract carefully.
- Upon receiving the first bill, make sure that your connection works according to the fixed or mobile bundled service you have selected.
- Read thoroughly r all your phone bills and in particular any updates made by the provider which are mentioned therein.
2. Turn on charge control services on the mobile phone
- Confirm that the use of your services is included in the package of your choice.
- Know about the key features and the instructions of your device, any automatic download updates and how to disable automatic connection to the Internet.
- Activate the “monitoring of free voice / sms / data volume usage” service so when you are close to exceeding the volumes described in your package, your provider will inform you by text message (sms).
- Get information on how you can control the usage of voice / sms / data volume of your bundled service.
- Ask your provider to inform you on how to automatically discontinue specific services so as not to exceed a maximum monthly fee.
3. Be careful when using the Internet on mobile device
- Get information on how to access the Internet either via Wi-Fi or via the network of your provider.
- Show caution when you select the automatic download of updates of your applications through the Internet. As an additional measure, you can disable the automatic access to the Internet of your device and turn it on when you wish.
- When downloading files (e.g., video, email downloads, etc.) show special attention to the size of the downloading files and download via Wi-Fi or via the network of your provider so that you don’t consume on a short time the data volume available to you by the bundled services you have chosen so as to avoid additional charges.
4. Prevent charges from multimedia information services
- Do not disclose your mobile phone number on a website without first carefully read all terms, conditions and charges whereby a service that interests you is offered. Note that ads on free offers or participation in lotteries may include subscription services.
- Read carefully all terms and conditions of the advertisement and check if it concerns a subscription service or a service that is completed in more than 1 sms etc.
- Block multimedia information services if you do not use them, such as calls to five-digit numbers (e.g., 14XXX, 190XXXX-195XXXX, 54XXX) or other value added services (e.g., 901XXXX). In any case, the charge by each provider of multimedia information services should not exceed €20 per month (+VAT) for subscription services.
5. Avoid increased charges when abroad or at Greece’s borderline
- Get information about the applicable fees for access and the wireless data transfer charged by mobile operators in Greece and abroad.
- When in Greece’s borderline, disable automatic network search and "lock" your device to your network provider in order to avoid unwanted roaming charges.
- When abroad, display caution when using telephony and Internet to avoid increased roaming charges.